Mommy, Mommy Look...

Mommy, Mommy Look...

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Mommy, Mommy, Look What She Can Do!

"Hi!  Girl's night party 6:00PM," I said.
"Yes Ma'am.  May I get your name please?"
"Ankita.  Ankita Sharma" I said in response.
"Party of six?  Your friends are all here.  Right this way ma'am" muttered the pretty receptionist with the fake lashes, checking off my name in the guest list.

I looked around appreciatively at the drybar's elegant, understated, yet sophisticated decor.  
"Ankita, you absolutely have to try the drybar.  It's the in-thing" T had gushed over the phone.  I had heard about this new lifestyle concept that touted - 'No Cuts, No Colors, Just Blow outs', as their tagline and had been dying to try one. But life always intervened.  If it was not Akshar's wheezing, it was Aashna's teething or Rahul's boys' poker night.  

I had made excuses to wiggle my way out of social gatherings, happy hours and tea times with my friends.  Slowly I found myself drifting away from them and the frivolous pursuits that we once shared; the moments that made me feel like a young, beautiful, successful woman and not just Rahul's wife or Aashna's mom.  But enough is enough, this evening will be the turning point and this girl's night out was just what the doctor ordered for me.

Snuffing out a faint flicker of guilt rather ruthlessly I followed the girl, my heels clicking smartly on the tiled walkway.  "I deserved a simple evening out in the company of smart girl friends; a night away from kids' homework, spilt milk and tantrums at the dinner table.  Besides, it would be an eye-opening experience for Rahul to have to deal with the kids for an evening"

"Thank you!"  I smiled a tad too brightly at the girl before turning around to be engulfed by five pairs of arms.  

"Yeah, she made it M!  I win; pass on the twenty bucks" K sang in glee.  

I smiled as I settled in.  “God!  How I missed this crazy bunch.”

The evening shimmered as we bit into delicious hors d'oeuvres and sipped mimosa served in sparkling crystal flutes while the stylists massaged and washed the day’s tension and grime from our hair at the shampoo bowl. Conversation flowed like the soft music that engulfed the space.  Inch by inch I relaxed and eased into the chatter and comfort of this cozy girls’ group.  

Suddenly a  rather off key preschool song - “Each of us is a flower, growing in the garden…” in Akshar’s lispy voice rang through. It was our home number.   

Smiling apologetically and blushing with pride at the gasps and exclamations of “Aww! How sweet!” that issued from my friends, I spoke into my phone, a hushed “Hello.“  And my mind speculated, "It must be Rahul.  Maybe he is sorry about this morning's incident and is ready to apologize."

But there was no response.  I shrugged as I set the phone on vibrate before dropping it off in my purse.  “If his ego did not permit him to talk, then why do I have to bother?”  I mused, briefly reflecting on the irritated and strained interchange that we exchanged this morning.  

Come to think of it, this has become the theme of our marriage in recent time.  I squared my shoulders and resolving to enjoy the next couple of hours to the fullest, I returned back to my cushy leather chair and the girls that offered me the comfort of heart-to-heart talk and unconditional acceptance.
************
It was close to nine, when I slipped behind the wheel, and buckled up. A fabulous feeling of heavenly well being flooded my limbs and a pleasant euphoria suffused my brain, as I checked my cell.  

“What the… 38 missed calls in ten minutes!  All of them from home.  How come? What could have happened?”  

Cold dread coiled in the pit of my stomach and guilt squeezed the heart in my chest with its iron fingers as I hit the speed dial and backed the car out simultaneously.  
“The line’s busy!  Who could they be talking to?”  Myriad situations and emergencies flashed by in a quick succession in my mind’s eye.  
“Was it Aashna?  Did she fall off the high chair while Rahul’s back was turned?  Could it be Akshar succumbing to another painful bout of wheezing?  Darn it! I should have insisted that he keep his layers of clothing on this morning.  The weather was definitely turning chilly.”

I cursed silently the slow-poke Toyota in front of me, as I switched lanes and dialed Rahul’s phone only to hear it ring out.  
“Where are you Rahul!” I exclaimed out loud to the steering wheel even as another chilling thought threatened to squeeze out the air from my lungs 
“What if it is Rahul!  Did something happen to him?  Oh God!  Please no.  I did not mean any of the harsh words I threw at him this morning.  I cannot imagine a life without him”  
My heart rate raced in time to the speedometer of my car as I floored the gas pedal all the way home.

I let myself in fumbling with my keys at the door in an attempt to get the key in the lock.  Dropping my bag on the table and kicking off my pumps, I made my way through the dark house towards the master bedroom, the only source of light at the end of the dark hallway, walking slowly, unsure of what I awaited me.
         
I paused and drew in a deep breath before stepping into the bedroom, and what do I see?  
Sprawled rather inelegantly on the recliner at the foot of the bed was Rahul, fast asleep, with his socks on, tie undone and his glasses askew on his sharp nose; while his gentle snores caused the children’s book balanced on his chest to rise and fall in tune to his breathing.  Tears of joy and relief clouded my vision.  A more beautiful sight had never met my eyes till date.

Suddenly a shrill and excited “Mommy you are home!  You have to see what I taught Ashu” filled my ears.  
My five year old Akshar could not have looked healthier than he did now as he bounded towards me.  
“Mommy, mommy, look what she can do!” He cried pulling me urgently towards his baby sister, two year old Aashna, who sat on her chubby knees holding the phone in her hand.  
To my amazement she squealed a broken “Mama, Ashu call mama” and punched the numbers on the phone with her plump fingers and lo and behold, my phone sang out in response. 

Comprehension dawned as I crumbled to the floor in relief.  Aashna had been calling me all this time, undoubtedly egged on by her doting teacher, Akshar.  I gathered my precious little ones in my lap and watched Rahul stir awake.  

One look at me and he slid down to his knees and enveloped us in his arms, whispering against my hair, “I am an idiot Anks.  I love you, please do not ever leave me and go.”

I snuggled in his broad shoulder sniffling back a tear while my face beamed in happiness.  All it took was a girl’s night out and 38 calls in ten minutes by a toddler to put things in perspective.

 This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.
 (My submission to the WOW initiative)

24 comments:

  1. A pretty good narration. I personally feel that you have tried to present the reality that even though you feel the need for your own space you realise the importance of being a mother. I know being a mother is thank less job. Believe me you are an awesome MOTHER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks da for reading and the vote of confidence:)

      Delete
  2. A very beautiful narration. It is really tough to raise children and that too in the States - Tell me about it. With a IT job, kids school, soccer practice and Tae-kwon-do classes, I used to feel so down and out. Once I did went away to Mission peak to just have my me time and I didn't realize when the time just flew away when I was trekking to the top. When I came down elated that I could do the trek, imagine my surprise when I had 10 calls on my phone all from my kids. Well of course my Arnavji is still an stubborn guy and didn't right away admit it that he missed me but one look at him and I knew he got the taste of the reality but yeah my girls missed me hell lot for the 4-5 hours I was out. They didn't leave me that whole day and you know that really made me see that what I do for my kids is what gives me peace and love. We do try to do some me time but with growing girls and hectic jobs, it is hardly possible. It was lovely reading this narration now as I just remembered the same situation I was in.

    Are you intending to write more here? If so just pm me whenever you write.

    -Sharada(psarada from IF)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharada dear,

      So good to see your comments and thanks for checking this out. I do intend to blog here every so often. I can PM but not sure if IF will have issues with that. I'll share my posts on google circle. If you can? take a min and click the follow me on the option that says follow me on email on the right here. You will get all updates. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  3. well.. once a mom.. always a mom :) :) ...

    i hv just 1 kid... n yet i knw tht feeling.. of wanting some space.. some free time.. whn u dont hv to even think of home n baby n husband or any other thg bt fun fr tht matter..
    n yet.. everytime i think of planning sthg on the lines.. i cant find it in myself to leave my kid alone.. nt even with her father :) .. coz.. i guess.. i just cant go bak to 'not being a mom' ..
    so yes.. i understand hw she felt here
    :) :)

    beautifully put :)
    loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanu dear,

      Thank you. Yep! I was looking to narrate something universal that all moms would have experienced at some time or the other. Names, situations and locations may be different, but the feelings are the same. Thanks for extending me your support. I hope you will hit follow me via email/google circles on top right so you can get my posts.

      Delete
  4. forgot to mention... this is me.. tanu3579 frm IF :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay dii first thing is about your note in the pm about crossing boundries and all..there is nothing lyk that and please feel free atleast around me :)
    comming to this piece of writing, just as an individual story i loved it immensly..but as i have no idea about the central theme related to this ,basically parenting and all maybe i couldn't feel the exact emotions that mothers would feel after reading it..so m not able to understand wat to post here..but i would lyk to thank you for sending me a pm to read this beauty :)
    and if you write anything else do pm again i would love to read it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arun! :) hugs......
      Thank you for the reassurance. We writers are a bit of a paranoid bunch I guess, but then readers like you come and make it all worth the effort. Thank you for your comments dear. This Blog is just a situational Flash Fiction. I wrote this specifically in response to WoW prompt for this weekend which is to use - "38 missed calls in 10 minutes. He/she wondered what's going on?"

      I'll ensure I PM so long as there are no IF objections. but if you do get a moment follow me via your email using the option on the top right of this page.

      Delete
  6. nicely written. surprises are part of life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and posting your comments. Indeed! life would be bland without surprises.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Ayyo looks like my comment did not get published :(
    Anyways, lovely story Indu! Arshi or no Arshi, i always love a good story. And a nice topic too - Personal time vs family. We've been through this guilt trip many times over i guess, even though i don't have kids yet.
    btw, our much-loved "What The" too made an appearance! :D Frankly, that line did need a 'what the' there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aruni---- Glad you re-commented. Yep! it was a 'What the...' moment indeed. Thanks darling :) loved to read your thoughts as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what a narration Indu. You simply put a thousands of thought and feelings of Mom in such beautiful way. It is really awesome, I took a sigh of relief once I got to the end ot the story :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Haritha for reading and commenting :) I am sure most of us have felt this way at one time or the other. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Indu,

    Well, the narration was really creative. I could relate this to that one time,14 years ago, after which I never left my daughter alone at home, when I had to attend a workshop, and leave my one and a half year old with her Dad.I was really excited about it before I could go, but once I got there, all I could think about was Tanmayi. I still find it funny, how, even when we leave our kids in the most trusted hands of their fathers, a mother will always be herself..! And you have wonderfully conveyed this feeling, which is not that easy to express.!! :) Keep writing more..

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a lovely narration, i guess every mom will relate to it. It was an awesome read.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sapna. I am glad you enjoyed. I need to check out if there is a new prompt for this weekend. Been a while since I wrote for WoW

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Aunty,

    I just read your blog, sorry that it took me so long to get to it, and I am really glad that I did. I know that I am not a mom, actually, not even close to one, but I am very impressed that you were able to reach an audience that maybe you weren't even aiming for! Now that Sudev and I are older and don't necessarily need supervision, we always wonder why mom wont just take a day for herself and just go out and do something fun. I think I get it now: moms are in it for their family and their kids and no matter how ignorant we may be to that fact, they are always going to be thinking about us.I would be unequivocally wrong to say or think that at some point kids don't need their parents anymore. I am glad that you were able to remind me that I may not need my mom on a daily basis for everything that I do but I will always need her just because she loves me So, thanks for this genuine and real post. I hope that you keep writing and sharing and I am looking forward to more.


    -Sush

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved it! What suspense and a beautiful, relate-able story about an un-likely family tune up! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chyreese - Yippie you read! Thank Thank you :)

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete